Mango Black Bean Salsa over Sweet Potatoes
We tried the original recipe (on $5 dinners) and it was a real hit here with the adults, but only got two stars with the kids. Still we had to post it as one of our favorites because it is delicious and so colourful!
We hardly had to change anything to suit Our Healthy Year standards.
I am going to try this on top of a lettuce salad and maybe even over rice.
I have also added a crock pot option for cooking the sweet potatoes that I just read about on Wellness Mama. This would mean an easy prep in the morning and dinner ready when everyone arrives home.
- 4-6 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 2 medium mangoes
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch or two of sea salt
- Cook the beans for 1 to 1.5 hours, depending on soak time and your preference.
- Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven (this took a long time and next time I am going to cook them in the crockpot). To bake sweet potatoes: Wrap in foil, shiny side in, bake for 50-60 minutes.
Crock pot sweet potatoes: Wash well but don’t dry, place in crock pot with lid on, and turn on low, cook for 6-7 hours or until tender.
- While sweet potatoes cook – prepare the Mango Black Bean Salsa.
- Peel and cut the mango into bite-sized cubes and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked black beans, green peppers and chopped red onion.
- Sprinkle the lime juice, cumin, cinnamon and salt over top and toss gently.
Open and smash the sweet potatoes and top with the mango-black bean salsa.